Quick reminder, this week we are also doing live online classes. I’ll have the reminders below after the weekly updates…but first!
Here is this week’s fencing class:
Here is the section break up:
- 0:00 Updates
- 2:52 Warm Ups https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9MQU4XWl-Y&t=172s
- 8:29 Footwork https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9MQU4XWl-Y&t=509s
- 16:15 Bladework https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9MQU4XWl-Y&t=975s
- 30:41 Skill Work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9MQU4XWl-Y&t=1841s
- 39:14 Cool Down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9MQU4XWl-Y&t=2354s
- 47:16 Outtakes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9MQU4XWl-Y&t=2836s
We are still aiming for a return to fencing classes during the second week of July. There will be COVID-19 precautions and adaptations, and depending on how many people are in the class, we may have to break up the classes and days.
A few years ago, Coach Gerhard’s collegiate coach celebrated 50 years as the head coach of UNC Fencing. He retired at 52 years, but still coaches the North Carolina Fencing Development Program. At the celebration, he addressed all the alumni. It’s a great speech and gives you some insight of from whom Coach Gerhard learned to fence, and where his teaching ideals come from: https://youtu.be/iHipl_hqlIc
Live Google Meet Online Class Reminder:
Don’t forget! There will be LIVE online classes for the last 3 weeks before we return to class, STARTING THIS WEEK. I will also be continuing to do YouTube video classes you can do on your own for the remainder of June and July.
If your child is in my Tuesday 6PM class OR
If your child is age 12 and under and is in my Wednesday 7PM Beginner Fencing Class
Join our live online class at 6:30PM on June 9th, 16th, and 23rd
If you are a teen/adult (or invited student) in my Tuesday 7PM or Wednesday 6:15PM class (foil and epee) OR
If you are a teen/adult and in my Wednesday 7PM Beginner Fencing Class
Join our live online class at 6:30PM on June 10th, 17th, and 24th
What you will need:
- A weapon/glove if they have one (OR half a pool noodle, or a DIY weapon, no weapon at all is ok.)
- A rolled up pair of socks (clean 🙂 )
- Index card or business card or paper cut roughly the size of an index card, or quarter
- Make sure you have shoes on!
- Wireless headphones maybe helpful
- Immediate access to water during breaks will be helpful
- ONLY teens and adults will need a roll of toilet paper
- ONLY teens and adults will need a stationary target (If no target is available, that is ok)
- ONLY teens and adults will need a coffee mug mostly filled with water (It’s better that you don’t ask why right now. 🙂 )
Make sure you have enough space to move around, do a little bit of footwork and lunge. Also try to set up the phone/camera or laptop so that when you do footwork, I can see the whole body (feet all the way up to the head).
Join the class on Google Meet (need a Google Account):
Link to Google Meet chat will not be published on the website or Facebook Page.
You can find the link to the Google Meet chat on e-mail, Facebook Group, or Discord Chat.
If you cannot find the link, please contact Coach Gerhard to get the link.
We look forward to seeing you there!