Sorry I’m a little late with this post. I usually finish typing this on Tuesday night and send it out Tuesday night ready for you Wednesday morning.
Some quick notes for parents…there are sections in the videos that show you how you can do partner help with your student. They aren’t difficult to follow and it teaches you a little about fencing as well!
Here is this week’s video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3rlaAaTAdQ
- Warm Ups: https://youtu.be/J3rlaAaTAdQ?t=45
- Working on the Lunge Kick: https://youtu.be/J3rlaAaTAdQ?t=417
- Footwork: https://youtu.be/J3rlaAaTAdQ?t=719
- Bladework, No Partner Required: https://youtu.be/J3rlaAaTAdQ?t=1182
- Bladework, With Partner: https://youtu.be/J3rlaAaTAdQ?t=1974
- Reaction time game: https://youtu.be/J3rlaAaTAdQ?t=2882
Also, thank you to everyone that sent in videos for the On Deck videos! Here is the finished video with everyone’s submissions! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht6hR2CAaYQ
Our re-opening guidelines are being governed by two factors, NC Government and USA Fencing:
From USA Fencing:
Due to the ongoing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on our nation and the world, USA Fencing Member and Affiliate Club activities will remain unsanctioned through at least April 30. Unsanctioned activities will not be covered by USA Fencing’s insurance. USA Fencing clubs are required to remain closed through at least April 30.
Of course if USA Fencing does allow us re-open, we are still bound by the NC Governor’s orders. We are hoping we may begin looking at re-opening t he first week of May….we HOPE.
We also have some crafts you can make at home to help your training if you haven’t seen them yet:
I didn’t a make a video for this craft (I should), but you can make a pretty good alternative weapon with a few pieces from Lowes and Wal-Mart for under $5. Here is what you will need (you may already have some of this at home!):
- SharkBite 1/2-in x 5-ft PEX Pipe (plumbing section, $1.86): https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1-2-in-x-5-ft-PEX-Pipe/1000386513
- 1/2″ PVC End Cap (plumbing section, ~98 cents): https://www.lowes.com/pd/Carlon-1-2-PVC-End-Cap/1076503
- Disposable plastic bowl(s). I bought a pack, good thing, because I messed up cutting a few (~$2.48). I used: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Gv-Red-Plastic-Bowl/591747847
- Hot glue gun, super glue, and regular glue will probably work just fine. I used hot glue.
- Scissors to cut the bowl
- Pipe cutter, fine cut hack saw, or even a good kitchen steak knife will work to cut the Sharkbite PEX pipe (they’re pretty easy to cut)
- Any marker
- Cut the PEX pipe to the proper length. If you use the regular size weapon (from rack), cut the pipe to 40 inches. If the weapon is for a child and they typically use the shorter weapons from the bucket, cut the pipe to 38 inches.
- Mark the pipe 5 inches from one end (this is where you will place the guard).
- Measure a diameter of 4 inches and cut out the bottom of the disposable bowl. The bottom of the red Wal-Mart brand red disposable bowl is already about 4 inches in diameter. I cut a little past the bottom curve to give the guard a little curve.
- Trace a the circle on the end of the pipe in the center of bowl guard cutout you just made.
- Cut out the hole (make sure you cut out in the middle of your tracing, you don’t want to make the whole too big.
- Slide the guard you made onto the pipe to the 5 inch mark you made earlier, and if you have a curve on your guard, make sure it is curving towards the end of the grip (the 5 inch section).
- Hot glue/glue the guard into place.
- Hot glue the the end caps to the pipe.
- If you want to be creative, you can wrap the grip leather or plastic.
- The final weapon bends and recovers pretty well, but you may have to re-straighten the weapon after 3-4.
Here are some of our other favorite training videos we have found online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HheEb1Ng58Y&list=PLzRoSLhb3uVej4vBJIHgZS8arRnPHTAOe
All-American Fencing Academy’s complete On Strip/At Home Training Series videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzRoSLhb3uVcOKf0dxKmdP85MAIWCHYGL
All-American Fencing Academy On Strip/At Home website posts: https://www.allamericanfencing.com/category/news/on-strip-at-home-series/
Want to buy equipment?
Absolute Fencing Gear is still taking and mailing orders (I just ordered some equipment)
- Current deal: Free glove with mask purchase
- Well, since you have a glove and mask, might as well get a weapon!
Thank you to our On Strip/At Home Sponsors
- Fox Bookkeeping: https://www.facebook.com/Fox-Bookkeeping-484085878994066/
- Steven C. McRae, P.A.: http://stevemcraelaw.com/
- Matthew Woods VO: http://matthewwoodsvo.com/